Friday, September 17, 2010

Athens




Athens was probably the peak of the poor planning section of the trip; "vacation from vacation" means I don't have to think, right?

I thought I had given myself 2 days in Athens, but my flight left later than I thought on the last day, so it was more like 3 days. This is far too much time for the city, so I figured I'd take a day trip out somewhere nearby as well after seeing the city highlights on the first day. This did not work out so well.

Hydra: ferry is too expensive
Delphi: Missed the bus on day 2 and it returned too late on day 3
The beach: Weather turned as I was prepping to go
Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon: I actually got on the bus for this one before I sensibly realized the general unreliability of Greek transport posed a strong risk of missing my plane. Good thing, too, as there was a transit strike that day, and the airport train was shut down.

My face after planning failures
Anyway, I spent a fair bit of time lounging in the city, drinking, and sleeping in. A good time was had.


Athens pictures

1 comment:

  1. Great tips. I m planning spend 4 days in Athens nect April. Maybe I need take a tour to poseidon temple because I m don't trust in the greek public transport system. My best regards from Chile.

    ReplyDelete